Occupational Health Safety and Environment
At Turk Telekom, having the Turkey's largest human resources, we are dealing with innovative health and safety issues as an indication of the care we show to our employees, we are dealing with the environment as an indication of importance we give to the world we live in.
As being the Turk Telekom Group we have adopted a proactive and productive Health, Safety and Environmental Management (HSEM), unlike traditional approaches we accept health, safety and environment as a process in constant motion not a goal to be concluded, all parties assumed it as a task, it is a cultural and learning journey that our employees contribute to the solution. So that we have a investments management awareness of putting people and the environment in the centre of the company.
Being aware of HSEM is a part of all our processes Safety and Environmental Group Management and Health Services Management was established within Facility Management Directorate under Human Resources, Regulation and Support Assistant General Manager.
Safety and Environment Group Management have the below responsibilities;
- Sharing of good practices with relevant institutions and organizations related with the promotion of safety culture,
- Encouraging 7 Safe Steps Project entire the company, to take under control for the hazards and risks arising from the hazards and manage to increase the number of preventable injuries
- Efforts to create a healthy and safe work environment for the prevention of occupational accidents,
- Safety and Environment training activities,
- Health care works,
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System certification activities,
- Risk Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment and studies,
- Studies on waste recycling and management,
- Carbon Disclosure Project studies
Efficiency and Human Health at Base Stations
Main measures and solutions of Turk Telekom at base stations for efficiency and human health:
- In order to increase energy savings, equipment with high energy consumption is replaced with lower energy consuming models.
- Environmentally friendly air conditioning gas is used in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from base stations. At the same time, Turk Telekom puts fan systems in its base stations and reduces the rate of air conditioner usage to minimum levels.
- DC Inverters which have high energy losses are replaced by high-efficiency models (97%). The old type DC Inverter units, which are replaced with new ones, are recycled in a nature-friendly way in recycling facilities.
- Unexpected energy losses are minimized with regular maintenance and repairs of base stations.
- Energy saving is achieved by using renewable energy sources such as solar panels and wind turbines in suitable base stations.
- Electromagnetic field measurements are made before and post the installation of base stations to ensure safe operation for public and the environment.
- In the planning, design, installation and operation phases, maximum attention is paid to minimize human and environmental intervention factors at our base stations and all necessary precautions are taken.
- As human health and environmental safety is considered to be the first priority, all necessary safety equipment is used to ensure that the base stations are not affected by natural disasters and do not endanger the environment and public health.
- Base stations are monitored 24 hours for emergency situations and natural disasters. The affected base stations are intervened very rapidly in order to ensure maximum operational competence.
Dissemination of Occupational Health and Safety Culture
Occupational health and safety is defined as the protection of employees from the hazards that may arise the risks of harm to health, and the provision of a better working environment. In this context, many projects are carried out to prevent work accidents and for our employees to continue to work in safe and healthy conditions. In addition to these projects acceptance of occupational safety as a value of the company culture, contribution of all of our employees to occupational safety activities are important with regard to sustainability of consisted safe working environment.
7 Safe Steps Project started in line with this purpose describes the remarkable areas in our working environment.
"Respect to the Safety Rules, Take a Safe Steps for Future" is the slogan of the campaign,
"7 Safe Steps" is built on the matters listed below;
- Risk Management
- Safe Work at Height
- Safe Work in a Confined Space
- Safe Work with Electricity
- Road Traffic Safety
- Safe Use of Equipments
- Personnel Protective Equipments
Occupational Health and Safety Trainings
Health and safety training in title with risks faced by employees, the necessary precautions, legal rights and responsibilities and environmental issues are given.
In this context, Health and Safety School was structured, within the Academy and Internal Communication Directorate and the comprehensive program is performed in order to give the trainings that employees need to have.
The implementations are performed regarding experiential learning with the purpose of creating behavior change in the employees as a result of participation in health and safety trainings. One of the implementation is work at height virtual reality experience program which aims to evoke a feeling of work at height before climbing R/L tower. In 2016, this implementation has been awarded by The Stevie Awards for Great Employers for Gold Medal in the field of occupational health and safety.
Base of the strength of Turk Telekom is constituted of the ownership of experienced human resources. Any investment in this resource will add value to our company, no doubt.
At the same time being aware of having the responsibility of health and safety of our suppliers, business partners, trainees and customers, we record and evaluate all near miss cases in order to prevent the occurrence of work place accidents. By including the reporting and evaluation of unsafe conditions and unsafe acts to this system, proactive safety management has been adopted.
As being Turk Telekom Group we are constantly check our activities in order to detect the unsafe conditions/acts. By determining those unsafe situations we aim to protect our employees, partners, suppliers, interns and customers. Additionally after determining those hazards we get them included them in the risk assessment process.
As being Turk Telekom Group within the scope of health services we are doing pre-employment and return to work examinations, periodic health examinations, polyclinics, organization of first aid and emergency response services in the workplace, ensure the best harmony between work and workers, protection of employees from occupational disease, monitoring and supervising the general hygiene conditions of the workplace.
Carbon Disclosure Project
Carbon Disclosure Project, demand the companies how they manage their climate change risks and opportunities, established by international investors, non-profit independent organization which is considered the most comprehensive environmental initiative of the world since 2000. CDP is public traded companies to declare the amount of greenhouse gas strategies and carbon emissions is a very prestigious order was implemented and environmental projects.
Turk Telekom had been the first Turkish telecommunication company reporting to CDP in 2010. In 2011, the evaluation that had been made through ISE 100 companies those reporting to CDP, Turk Telekom was awarded as one of the best reporting two companies according to methodology and transparency. Turk Telekom was among the top 5 companies in 2012.
Environmental Impact Assessment
In order to determine the potential risks and environmental dimensions arising from Turk Telekom's activities, products and services, assessing the environmental impact and size, by defining relevant principles and methods for the control of potential hazards in a systematic way, and the purpose of lowering to minimum level risk assessment and environmental impact assessment statements are prepared and documented.
By carrying out those studies occupational accidents and diseases can be identified before they happen, risks can be determined that could cause them, and aimed to take the relevant measures.
OHSAS 18001 Health and Safety Management System ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
In order to achieve the telecommunications sector best health, safety and environmental practices, and to be able to work more systematically, the Health and Safety & Environmental Management System has been established and documented.
Integrated Management System Policy that was created in this context is listed below.
Our management system policy;
Beyond being a telecommunications operator, being one of the main actors in the transition to the information community, taking into account the principles of quality, environment, health and safety, complaint management systems and requirements in all processes, constantly evolving, increase productivity, focusing on customers and the market, taking social responsibility always in the foreground, being an organization that values employees;
- We provide the continuous improvement and development of our integrated management system with an active and constructive participation of our employees,
- We are obliged to comply with national and international Quality, Environment, Health and Safety, Business Continuity Management Systems and we are committed to comply with related legal and regulative requirements,
- We fulfill the requirements of the Health and Safety in our operations, develop and implement systems for the prevention of all kinds of accident, injuries, occupational diseases and health problems,
- We provide customer satisfaction by solving our customers' complaints, requests and suggestions in the fastest way possible based on laws, regulations and company rules, in a fair and neutral approach and privacy,
- We are committed to reduce or eliminate significant environmental effects causing from our activities,
- In our business continuity services we aim to ensure our safety as a priority in an emergency, and by continuously improving our business continuity capacity and we aim to ensure the continuity of our service.