Türk Telekom unabatedly continues its work on next generation cities
Continuing to invest in smart city technologies, Türk Telekom contributes to building sustainable and efficient cities offering high quality of life. The Company leads Türkiye's largest smart city projects with solutions suitable for next generation urbanism. The number of cities covered by the Next Generation Cities project has reached 14 with the addition of Osmaniye to the provinces of Edirne, Aksaray, Mersin, Düzce, Karaman, Kars, Kocaeli, Elazığ, Antalya, Kütahya, Kırşehir, Denizli and Konya.
While spreading the concept of smart city technologies, Türk Telekom contributes to the effective use of the country's resources by achieving savings in electricity, fuel consumption and irrigation in municipalities with smart solutions. Türk Telekom's solutions in smart urbanisation played an active role in saving approximately 35% in time spent in traffic, 30% in fuel consumption and 25% in carbon emissions.
Türk Telekom ensures that the solutions and applications it offers with the Next Generation City Platform are monitored and managed from a single centre. In addition to all solutions that can be monitored instantly, the collected data is analysed, enabling more efficient use of public resources.
The Next Generation City Platform makes city life easy, comfortable, sustainable and safe. In addition, while allowing instant data monitoring, the platform increases the efficiency of local administrations by enabling future-oriented decisions based on the obtained information.
Türk Telekom completed its electronic inspection systems, one of the transportation components of the next generation city project, in Osmaniye Municipality in 2022. Project works still continue in Yahşihan, Yalova and Altınova Municipalities. With these projects, it is aimed to reduce waiting times in traffic and possible accidents and dangers, as well as to reduce the carbon footprint through fuel savings.
With Smart City Furniture, next generation environmentally friendly and smart living spaces have been created for the residents of Antalya and Ankara Metropolitan Municipalities and the regions under the responsibility of Koçarlı Municipality.
Smart Agriculture, the new member of the next generation city family
In 2022, Türk Telekom developed artificial intelligence supported smart agriculture software, the new member of the next generation city family, with local solution partners and added it to the next generation city ecosystem. Smart agriculture software plays a key role in the journey of reducing the risks and impacts of climate change and foreign dependency in agriculture, increasing production efficiency and digitising agriculture. Moreover, smart agriculture software, which is a component of the next generation city project, provides solutions with the aim of increasing efficiency and production in agriculture.
Production with Smart Agriculture contribute directly or indirectly to a variety of United Nations Sustainable Development Goals including Zero Hunger, Sustainable Cities and Communities, and Climate Action.
Software solutions for municipalities’ journey to digital transformation
Türk Telekom implements new projects every year by focusing on citizen satisfaction, a priority for every municipality. Thus, the Company makes cities safe and sustainable, and improves the quality of life.
Türk Telekom supported the digital transformation journey of more than 40 municipalities with its software solutions. Zoning management software and smart digital data applications, which are among the newly added next generation living components, support the digital municipality vision. With these systems, which were established in Çekmeköy and Eskişehir Odunpazarı Municipalities in 2022, zoning processes of citizens and digital data were securely stored and processed.
Türk Telekom continued to expand its solution partner ecosystem for local administrations in 2022. The Company continues to offer alternative services to municipalities and citizens with its environmentalist and next generation solutions that include various smart city components such as WiFi service, city information screens, mobile application, next generation lighting, smart transportation systems and smart city furniture.
Türk Telekom renews the energy and cooling infrastructure of data centres with the latest technology
While providing uninterrupted service to its customers, Türk Telekom, Türkiye's leading telecommunication company, replaces energy and cooling equipment in all data centres with next generation systems in order to save energy. At the same time, it prefers innovative and efficient cooling solutions in its new investments.
The studies conducted around energy efficiency in data centres are listed below:
- Türk Telekom reduced its PUE (Power Usage Effectiveness) value to below 1.15 by using energy efficient IEC cooling solutions in its new data centre investments. Furthermore, it continues to renew the cooling infrastructures in data centres, which have been providing uninterrupted service to customers for years, with next generation efficient devices.
- In addition to the new data centre investments, seamless power supplies in all old data centres have been replaced with modular types operating at 96.5% efficiency. 7% savings were achieved in the energy costs of a facility where this transformation was completed.
- Türk Telekom received the I-REC Certificate in 2022 and met all of its electricity consumption needs in data centres from renewable sources, while at the same time, with this certificate, it provided services with green energy to all customers using data centres.
Cooling solutions are used effectively in all fixed and mobile Türk Telekom sites
Türk Telekom expanded its energy-saving free cooling solutions to all fixed and mobile base stations, thus achieving energy savings of up to 80%. In addition, it continued to replace the old generation air conditioners used in fixed and mobile networks with next generation efficient devices. With the efficiency projects carried out in cooling within 2022, the Company aims to prevent 7,356 tons of carbon emissions by saving 16.1 million kWh of energy annually.
Annual energy savings of 39.2 million kWh with optimisation studies
Türk Telekom achieved significant savings in cooling costs as a result of technological transformations, installation of next generation systems and optimisation of communication devices. Thanks to the optimisations carried out in 2022, the Company aims to prevent 17,910 tons of carbon emissions by saving 39.2 million kWh of energy annually.
Smart Energy Management Platform
Thanks to the Smart Energy Management Platform launched in 2022, Türk Telekom can track the outcomes of its efficiency and optimisation projects faster. In the first phase of the platform, target is to save more than 10 million kWh of energy annually and to save 100 thousand litres of generator fuel per year.
Energy efficiency works at base stations
Türk Telekom continues its efforts to serve more efficiently in mobile base stations with next generation equipment like it does in its entire network. In this context, the ongoing energy efficiency studies and the solutions developed are listed below.
- In order to save the energy consumed in the base stations, Türk Telekom implemented new features of the software that saves power at the base stations in all regions during the hours when the traffic density is low. Thanks to the optimisation work carried out in 2022, the Company aims to prevent 9,545 tons of carbon emissions by saving more than 20.8 million kWh of energy annually.
- Türk Telekom continued to renew old generation equipment in the network with next generation equipment, as part of the equipment modernisation project at the base stations. This way, the Company aims to prevent 1,861 tons of carbon emissions by saving 4.1 million kWh of energy annually in 2022.
- By installing 123 free cooling devices at base stations in 2022, Türk Telekom not only was able to save from cooling energy, but also from spare parts and maintenance costs. In addition, the Company, which uses environmentally friendly air conditioners to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, replaced old ones with 323 next generation efficient air conditioners in 2022.
- The Company ensures that the base stations work safely for people and the environment, by conducting electromagnetic field measurements before and after installation.
- Türk Telekom takes all necessary precautions by paying attention to minimising human and environmental interference at the base stations during the planning, design, installation and operation phases.
- Making the human health and environmental safety a top priority, Türk Telekom utilises all necessary security equipment and carries out updates so that the base stations are not affected by natural disasters and the environment and public health are not endangered. In 2022, the Company examined 500 base station towers in detail.
- The Company monitors the base stations round the clock and responds to the field in the fastest way in cases of emergency and natural disasters in order to provide the highest level of operational efficiency.